Baggage handlingParis Aéroport is a leading expert in baggage handling using state of the art equipment.
Paris-Charles de Gaulle
The baggage sorting facilities in place sort baggage belonging to more than 51 million passengers every year.
At CDG2 (Terminals 2A, 2B and 2D), the baggage sorting system comprises:
• Baggage check-in lines (dedicated to one or more destinations depending on terminal), comprising a group of counters and a set of belts with a built-in EDS ;
• Baggage reclaim lines comprising carrousels (belts with rubber links).
The baggage installations in the terminals comprise:
• 7 baggage check-in lines with an average capacity per terminal of 2,800 bags per hour ;
• 4 baggage reclaim lines ;
• 1 transfer baggage handling line (currently being replaced).
• 7 baggage check-in lines with an average capacity per terminal of 2,400 bags per hour ;
• baggage reclaim lines ;
• 1 transfer baggage handling line with an average capacity of 600 bags per hour. ;
• 14 baggage check-in lines with an average capacity per terminal of 3,000 bags per hour;
• 4 baggage reclaim lines ;
• 1 transfer baggage handling line with an average capacity per terminal of 600 bags per hour.
Each terminal is equipped with two tomographs for additional inspection purposes and the equipment required for processing outsize bags.
Connected to the baggage sorting system at Terminal 2C is the TBM-TBS, equipped especially with and two tomographs, with the capacity to process 2,500 bags per hour. The baggage inspected is primarily bags on long layovers, stored before their onward flight.
CDGE has an advanced installation for fast transfer baggage : a sorting system with three tomographs, for a capacity of 1,600 bags per hour.
• Number of passengers per year : 10 million
• Percentage transferring to another flight : 13%
• Number of bags originating at the airport : 5.2 million
• Number of bags in transit : 0.8 million
Characteristics of the new baggage sorting system :
• Creation of a set of counters on the Boutique level
• Completely interchangeable check in :
• Standard operator stations ;
• Linear check in counter bank layout location ;
• Baggage centralization and distribution that means that all banks can cover all jetties ;
• Sorting monitoring by destination.
• 100% IFBS (Inline integration of EDS and tomography machines, Baggage security monitoring).
• Originating baggage handling capacity : 4,000 bags an hour.
Transfer baggage handling capacity, for collection at CDG1 :
• intra-CDG1 flow = 300 bags an hour ;
• flow brought in from CDG2 = 500 bags an hour.;
At T3, a new baggage handling system including baggage inspection and filtering for all bags carried in the hold has been set up in Hall B.
Main characteristics :
• two normal size baggage handling lines with built in EDS systems
• a baggage handling line (levels 3/4) with a tomograph
• a outsize baggage handling line with a EDS
• a normal and outsize baggage handling line
This baggage handling system has a capacity of up to 1,320 bags per hour.
The systems have a maximum handling capacity of 1,200 bags every hour.
In Hall 4 at the Orly-Ouest Terminal, Paris Aéroport operates a departure check in system comprising ten banks of check in counters with two lines in mutual backup mode for level 1/2 hold back checking and a line with two elevators leading to a tomograph for inspection. The linear motor loading carrousel offers extremely high reliability, low noise and reduced maintenance.
For transfer passengers, Paris-Orly airport also has an automated system for sorting transfer baggage : TBC.
It can handle 2 400 bags per hour.